Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Review: Gate of Air - Resa Nelson

Title: Gate of Air
Author: Resa Nelson
Format: E-Book
Rating: 4 Stars


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frayka must find and convince the dragon gods of the Far East to appease the gods of her Northland heritage. If she fails, her own Northlander gods will destroy all the mortals who once promised to worship them.
The Far East is a mysterious place of legend to Northlanders like Frayka. Only an old map can show her how to get there. Once she arrives, all of Frayka’s sensibilities put her in danger. And every dangerous turn delays her from finding the dragon gods whose help she so desperately needs.
Although Frayka looks like a Far Easterner, she is a powerful Northlander warrior who is quick to voice her thoughts. She is trained to fight and won’t hesitate to do so.
But everything about Frayka puts her in deadly peril in the Far East, where the laws are strict and the punishment cruel.
Especially when the one being punished is a woman.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Resa Nelson weaves a tail that will draw you in from the get-go in Gate of Air.  I was unfamiliar with Nelson when I read this book, and her story made me want to go out and read her other books as well.

Even though the book is not funny, there were a few lines from the beginning that made me laugh and think "Ok, I can get this story!"  When Njall and Frayka are talking to each other at the beginning about their love for each other, Njall says:

"Once I tell everyone what you’ve done, everyone will love you as much as I do.” Njall hesitated. “Wait. That’s a terrible idea. Someone might try to marry you before I can.”

And Frayka says:

“If anyone tries to get between you and me, I’ll kick him in the shins.”

Kicking someone in the shin seems to be an over dramatic response, sure, but I think this short exchange shows the chemistry and good relationship between these two characters right from the start of the story.  You can tell they have a history and background with each other. 

The story flows well and fits together nicely. I think the author did a good job of drawing readers in, even if this is your first book by this author.  There is enough tension to keep you hooked and wanting to find out what happens next.

I enjoyed how well the characters worked together as well.  Each was well-thought out and well developed and I think did things that were within their personalities as that characters. 

I appreciate that the author also managed to make a sort of love story at the beginning with no wild crazy sex.  I know this is a YA book, but even a lot of YA Books now have lots of stuff that is questionable in them.  I give kudos to the author for that.

If you are looking for a book with magic, some travel, a little love, and some great characters, this is a book you will want to get your hands on.






1 comment:

Giselle said...

This sounds like a fun read! Thanks for hosting today! :)